IBM NetRexx site shutting down

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

IBM NetRexx site shutting down

rvjansen
I have gotten word that the IBM NetRexx site will be shut down this
month. After earlier plans, it seems that it is now end of the road for
this site and it will be 'sunset' (in IBM parlance) this October. So I
would encourage everybody who wants to save the information, to do so
without hesitation.

There have been some good memories attached to it and I would like to
thank, on behalf of RexxLA, the NetRexx community, and myself, everyone
who was involved into designing, updating and running it for all these
years.

best regards,

René Jansen,
President, Rexx Language Association


_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

David Requena
René,

You might be calling for a Distributed Denial Of Service here!
Imagine the vast population of NetRexx lovers trying to mirror the web site all at once ;-)

Regards and sorry for the joke

On 04/10/2012 14:29, rvjansen wrote:
I have gotten word that the IBM NetRexx site will be shut down this month. After earlier plans, it seems that it is now end of the road for this site and it will be 'sunset' (in IBM parlance) this October. So I would encourage everybody who wants to save the information, to do so without hesitation.

There have been some good memories attached to it and I would like to thank, on behalf of RexxLA, the NetRexx community, and myself, everyone who was involved into designing, updating and running it for all these years.

best regards,

René Jansen,
President, Rexx Language Association


_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/



_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Fernando Cassia-2


On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:34 AM, David Requena <[hidden email]> wrote:
Imagine the vast population of NetRexx lovers trying to mirror the web site all at once ;-)

Regards and sorry for the joke

Which reminds me... I saw the NetRexx twitter account still with double-digit followers

What is preventing the vast numbers of RexxLA members from following it? -sorry for the joke, if RexxLA membership isn´t in the 3-digits to 4-digits range as I envisioned- ;)

FC

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

rvjansen
For starters, I can imagine not every RexxLA member being interested in
NetRexx. Some of the members only use Classic Rexx and other use Regina
or ooRexx. With the general demographics of the Classic Rexx users, I
can imagine not everyone being on social media. One of my co-workers
here who knows Rexx has a phone you can only use for phonecalls.

Also, the more we tweet the larger the following. Good that you
reminded me, so I tweeted the sunset notice. But I would have to try
tweeting more regularly from that account. We could have a team; I only
would try to avoid the KitchenAid scenario: it seems to be the only
loser in this debate.

best regards,

René.



On 2012-10-04 14:47, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:34 AM, David Requena <[hidden email]
> [1]>
> wrote:
>
>> Imagine the vast population of NetRexx lovers trying to mirror the
>> web site all at once ;-)
>>
>> Regards and sorry for the joke
>
> Which reminds me... I saw the NetRexx twitter account still with
> double-digit followers
>
> What is preventing the vast numbers of RexxLA members from following
> it? -sorry for the joke, if RexxLA membership isn´t in the 3-digits
> to 4-digits range as I envisioned- ;)
>
> FC
>
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Bill Fenlason
In reply to this post by rvjansen
If this mailing list is going away, is there a pubic equivalent that will
be available in the future?

On 10/4/2012 8:29 AM, rvjansen wrote:
> I have gotten word that the IBM NetRexx site will be shut down this
month. After earlier plans, it seems that it is now end of the road for
this site and it will be 'sunset' (in IBM parlance) this October. So I
would encourage everybody who wants to save the information, to do so
without hesitation.
>
> There have been some good memories attached to it and I would like to
thank, on behalf of RexxLA, the NetRexx community, and myself, everyone who
was involved into designing, updating and running it for all these years.

>
> best regards,
>
> René Jansen,
> President, Rexx Language Association
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ibm-netrexx mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------
myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft® Windows® and Linux web and application
hosting - http://link.myhosting.com/myhosting


_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

rvjansen
Bill,

no reason for excitement: this list stays, it is the website at
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/awdtools/netrexx/ that is going.

The open, public equivalent is http://www.netxrexx.org

This list will continue to function as long as Ian will support it.

best regards,

René.


On 2012-10-05 17:52, [hidden email] wrote:

> If this mailing list is going away, is there a pubic equivalent that
> will
> be available in the future?
>
> On 10/4/2012 8:29 AM, rvjansen wrote:
>> I have gotten word that the IBM NetRexx site will be shut down this
> month. After earlier plans, it seems that it is now end of the road
> for
> this site and it will be 'sunset' (in IBM parlance) this October. So
> I
> would encourage everybody who wants to save the information, to do so
> without hesitation.
>>
>> There have been some good memories attached to it and I would like
>> to
> thank, on behalf of RexxLA, the NetRexx community, and myself,
> everyone who
> was involved into designing, updating and running it for all these
> years.
>>
>> best regards,
>>
>> René Jansen,
>> President, Rexx Language Association
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Ibm-netrexx mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft® Windows® and Linux web and
> application
> hosting - http://link.myhosting.com/myhosting
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ibm-netrexx mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Bill Fenlason
In reply to this post by rvjansen
Rene,

Thanks for the clarification.

On the other hand, since this list is hosted at hursley.ibm.com, it is not
unreasonable to assume that IBM may pull the plug on that as well at some
point.

But it is good to know that things here will go on as usual for now.

Bill

PS - is there or will there be a public list at netrexx.org?  As I
understand it, there is only a paid list for Rexx at rexxla.org, and the
equivalent open list is at the usenet (google) group comp.lang.rexx.  I was
wondering if the equivalent for netrexx was going to be true.

On 10/5/2012 12:21 PM, rvjansen wrote:
> Bill,
>
> no reason for excitement: this list stays, it is the website at
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/awdtools/netrexx/ that is going.

>
> The open, public equivalent is http://www.netxrexx.org
>
> This list will continue to function as long as Ian will support it.
>
> best regards,
>
> René.
>
>
> On 2012-10-05 17:52, [hidden email] wrote:
>> If this mailing list is going away, is there a pubic equivalent that will
>> be available in the future?
>>
>> On 10/4/2012 8:29 AM, rvjansen wrote:
>>> I have gotten word that the IBM NetRexx site will be shut down this
>> month. After earlier plans, it seems that it is now end of the road for
>> this site and it will be 'sunset' (in IBM parlance) this October. So I
>> would encourage everybody who wants to save the information, to do so
>> without hesitation.
>>>
>>> There have been some good memories attached to it and I would like to
>> thank, on behalf of RexxLA, the NetRexx community, and myself, everyone
who

>> was involved into designing, updating and running it for all these years.
>>>
>>> best regards,
>>>
>>> René Jansen,
>>> President, Rexx Language Association
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Ibm-netrexx mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/ 
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>> myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft® Windows® and Linux web and application
>> hosting - http://link.myhosting.com/myhosting
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Ibm-netrexx mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/ 
>
>

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web LIVE – Free email based on Microsoft® Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE


_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Mike Cowlishaw
> PS - is there or will there be a public list at netrexx.org?  
> As I understand it, there is only a paid list for Rexx at
> rexxla.org, and the equivalent open list is at the usenet
> (google) group comp.lang.rexx.  I was wondering if the
> equivalent for netrexx was going to be true.

I'm hoping that RexxLA/ooRexx/NetRexx/etc. will have a single port of call
(forum) sooner rather than later.   Maybe I'm using the wrong tools, but 8-9
mailing lists are really hard to follow; just one place to check for changes
once a day (or week) would be so much better ...

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Fernando Cassia-2
In reply to this post by Bill Fenlason


On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On the other hand, since this list is hosted at hursley.ibm.com, it is not
unreasonable to assume that IBM may pull the plug on that as well at some
point.

If IBM shuts down the Hursley resarch labs, then we have bigger issues to worry about. ;)

http://www-05.ibm.com/uk/locations/hursley_details.html

FC

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Fernando Cassia-2
In reply to this post by Mike Cowlishaw


On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Mike Cowlishaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
> PS - is there or will there be a public list at netrexx.org?
> As I understand it, there is only a paid list for Rexx at
> rexxla.org, and the equivalent open list is at the usenet
> (google) group comp.lang.rexx.  I was wondering if the
> equivalent for netrexx was going to be true.

I'm hoping that RexxLA/ooRexx/NetRexx/etc. will have a single port of call
(forum) sooner rather than later.   Maybe I'm using the wrong tools, but 8-9
mailing lists are really hard to follow; just one place to check for changes
once a day (or week) would be so much better ...

My work day revorves around e-mail and the e-mail screen (in my case, the GMail inbox).

I´m of the opinion that a mailing list beats ANY web based forum hands-down, specially when paired with GMail´s "discusion view" of emails...

In fact I co-administer the virtualbox mailing list after one genius Sun exec decided the mailing list had to go and that web based forum were the future. Well guess what? thechies continue subscribing to our community-run mailing list (hosted on sourceforge.net) every day....

FC

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Bill Fenlason
In reply to this post by rvjansen
On 10/5/2012 12:51 PM, Mike Cowlishaw wrote:

> I'm hoping that RexxLA/ooRexx/NetRexx/etc. will have a single port of call
> (forum) sooner rather than later.   Maybe I'm using the wrong tools, but
8-9
> mailing lists are really hard to follow; just one place to check for
changes
> once a day (or week) would be so much better ...

Some email programs (e.g. Thunderbird - open source, most OSs, etc) provide
filters which move incoming mail into appropriate folders.  I follow a
sizable number of lists and have no problems following them.  You could
direct all the Rexx related list inputs to a single folder if that works
for you.

ooRexx uses comp.lang.rexx.  Since there are likely few users that use both
ooRexx and NetRexx, probably separate lists are appropriate.

Of course, as long as RexxLA maintains its "pay to play" stance, there will
always be at least two :)


--------------------------------------------------------------------
myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft® Windows® and Linux web and application
hosting - http://link.myhosting.com/myhosting


_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Bill Fenlason
In reply to this post by rvjansen
Fernando,

IBM deciding to shut down the netrexx mailing list in Hursley does not
imply that IBM Hursley itself is shutting down.  

It implies that IBM may decide that no more IBM resources should be devoted
to NetRexx.  

That is certainly a reasonable business decision which may or may not be
made.


On 10/5/2012 1:28 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>
>
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>
>
>     On the other hand, since this list is hosted at hursley.ibm.com, it
is not
>     unreasonable to assume that IBM may pull the plug on that as well at
some
>     point.
>
>
> If IBM shuts down the Hursley resarch labs, then we have bigger issues to
worry about. ;)
>
> http://www-05.ibm.com/uk/locations/hursley_details.html
>
> FC

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web LIVE – Free email based on Microsoft® Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE


_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Mike Cowlishaw
In reply to this post by Fernando Cassia-2
I´m of the opinion that a mailing list beats ANY web based forum hands-down, specially when paired with GMail´s "discusion view" of emails... 
 
That's a different question -- I like getting e-mails about things I am interested in, too..  What I like about the 'forum' approach is that *I* can decide which threads I want to contribute to and/or subscribe to.  The 'mailing list' approach means that I get ALL "contributions" to a huge topic. 
 
Yes, I can set up rules to exclude some of that .. but the rules do not work very well.  I prefer to 'opt-in' to a discussion I am interested in rather that constantly 'opting-out' from worthy discussions that are only of specialist interest.
 
And even more irksome is constantly getting e-mail questions about some aspect of Rexx that I have many times discussed and answered in RexxLA mailing lists but yet are still unavailable to a simple Google search.  I get 15 to 25 Rexx questions every weekday .. all of which have been answered in RexxLA lists many times.  I reply to them all .. but it is becoming a chore rather than  the pleasure it used to be.
 
Mike

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Fernando Cassia-2


On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Mike Cowlishaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
 
That's a different question -- I like getting e-mails about things I am interested in, too..  What I like about the 'forum' approach is that *I* can decide which threads I want to contribute to and/or subscribe to.  The 'mailing list' approach means that I get ALL "contributions" to a huge topic. 
 

I understand completely. However I may suggest a different approach which is the one I use: I peruse the subject lines on mailing lists I´m subscribed to, and only click to read something when the topic catches my eye (kinda like browsing the newspaper and scanning headlines for interesting stories and ignoring the rest).

I only read about 20% to 10% of the mailing lists I receive.

Another beauty of the GMail "threaded view" is that a long message thread that goes on forever with dozens of messages actually takes a single line of vertical screen space on the inbox screen, and only "expands" to the full threaded view when clicked...

Of course, YMMV...

Best regards,
FC
PS: I admit this doesn´t solve the issue of people emailing questions directed specifically towards you.


_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Mike Cowlishaw
 
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Mike Cowlishaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
 
That's a different question -- I like getting e-mails about things I am interested in, too..  What I like about the 'forum' approach is that *I* can decide which threads I want to contribute to and/or subscribe to.  The 'mailing list' approach means that I get ALL "contributions" to a huge topic. 
 

I understand completely. However I may suggest a different approach which is the one I use: I peruse the subject lines on mailing lists I´m subscribed to, and only click to read something when the topic catches my eye (kinda like browsing the newspaper and scanning headlines for interesting stories and ignoring the rest).

I only read about 20% to 10% of the mailing lists I receive. 
 
That's what I would like to do, too .. but I do not want to have to receive them all first before I can decide which to read (my selection is maybe 2% to 1%).  First connection in the morning for me is a 20-minute update.  :-(   And deleting the 95% of stuff I am not interested in takes around 60% of my e-mail time. 

Another beauty of the GMail "threaded view" is that a long message thread that goes on forever with dozens of messages actually takes a single line of vertical screen space on the inbox screen, and only "expands" to the full threaded view when clicked... 
 
I have a GMail account -- so I can write programs for Android -- but would never use it for critical (or private) e-mail.  
 
[YMMV]


_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Bill Fenlason
In reply to this post by rvjansen
On 10/5/2012 2:56 PM, Mike Cowlishaw wrote:
> I
> And even more irksome is constantly getting e-mail questions about some
aspect of Rexx that I have many times discussed and answered in RexxLA
mailing lists but yet are still unavailable to a simple Google search.  I
get 15 to 25 Rexx questions every weekday .. all of which have been
answered in RexxLA lists many times.  I reply to them all .. but it is
becoming a chore rather than  the pleasure it used to be.

There is an obvious conflict between google and "pay to play".

The RexxLA business model falls apart if their private content were
available via google, so I doubt your problem will be fixed any time soon.

I have no idea if RexxLA provides an effective search option for their
private content, but perhaps they should.  You could then provide a
courtesy response to RexxLA members (or not) pointing out that the RexxLA
search option should be used.

If the questions are from non-RexxLA members, perhaps you should answer
them in a public forum which google will index.  I think a NetRexx forum in
google groups would be appropriate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web - Check your email from the web at
http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web


_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

rvjansen
The NetRexx list is open, and indexed by google, and archived at Nabble - no real reason to open a google group for it.

René.

On 5 okt. 2012, at 21:32, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/5/2012 2:56 PM, Mike Cowlishaw wrote:
>> I
>> And even more irksome is constantly getting e-mail questions about some
> aspect of Rexx that I have many times discussed and answered in RexxLA
> mailing lists but yet are still unavailable to a simple Google search.  I
> get 15 to 25 Rexx questions every weekday .. all of which have been
> answered in RexxLA lists many times.  I reply to them all .. but it is
> becoming a chore rather than  the pleasure it used to be.
>
> There is an obvious conflict between google and "pay to play".
>
> The RexxLA business model falls apart if their private content were
> available via google, so I doubt your problem will be fixed any time soon.
>
> I have no idea if RexxLA provides an effective search option for their
> private content, but perhaps they should.  You could then provide a
> courtesy response to RexxLA members (or not) pointing out that the RexxLA
> search option should be used.
>
> If the questions are from non-RexxLA members, perhaps you should answer
> them in a public forum which google will index.  I think a NetRexx forum in
> google groups would be appropriate.
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> mail2web - Check your email from the web at
> http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ibm-netrexx mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/
>

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Fernando Cassia-2


On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM, René Jansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
The NetRexx list is open, and indexed by google, and archived at Nabble - no real reason to open a google group for it.

Well, google groups acts as a traditional mailing list server but also provides a "web front end" (the equivalent of a web based forum), so at the time of registration you can choose if you want to receive every email (like a traditional mailing list server), a daily email (digest) or "no email", in the latter option you access messages when you want, and reply to what you want. But you still need to be "registered" to post to it.

That seems to fulfill MFC´s needs... and those of us who prefer to "receive everything"...

Just my $0.02...
FC

--
During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
- George Orwell


_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

David Requena
Fernando,

Please, visit the list archive at nable sometime. It's what you are describing, threaded view and all.
Not AJAX enabled, though.
 

-
Saludos / Kind regards,
David Requena

NOTE: The opinions expressed here represent the opinions
of the authors and do not necessarily represent the opinions
of those who hold other opinions.

-----Original Message-----
From: Fernando Cassia <[hidden email]>
Sender: [hidden email]
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 16:44:33
To: IBM Netrexx<[hidden email]>
Reply-To: IBM Netrexx <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Ibm-netrexx] IBM NetRexx site shutting down

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/



_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM NetRexx site shutting down

Ian T Stirling
Administrator
In reply to this post by rvjansen
On 05/10/2012 17:21, rvjansen wrote:
> This list will continue to function as long as Ian will support it.
I have absolutely no plans to stop supporting it.   There are some other
mailing lists on this server which generate quite large amounts of
traffic, up to 5GB a day on average so I cannot see it being forced to
close down either.

Ian
_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

12