Can NetRexx interface with an editor the way Rexx does with Xedit?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can NetRexx interface with an editor the way Rexx does with Xedit?

jlturriff
        I'm toying with writing a text editor in Java, and I'm wondering if I can
interface it with NetRexx to provide macro capability the way Xedit does with
Rexx.
        I've read through the Programmer Guide and Language Reference, but it's not
clear to me if NetRexx has that capability.

Leslie

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can NetRexx interface with an editor the way Rexx does with Xedit?

Fernando Cassia-2
On 9/11/17, Leslie Turriff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm toying with writing a text editor in Java, and I'm wondering if I can
> interface it with NetRexx to provide macro capability the way Xedit does
> with
> Rexx.
> I've read through the Programmer Guide and Language Reference, but it's not
>
> clear to me if NetRexx has that capability.
>
> Leslie\

I would start the other way around: find an editor which is
scriptable, like jEdit. Then ask them how difficult it'd be to have
scripts written in NetRexx.

Or look at how jEdit source on how it does things and take that as an example.

FC
PS: Jedit has a long tradition... you're free to do as you please but
I wonder if there's room for yet another text editor ;)

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can NetRexx interface with an editor the way Rexx does with Xedit?

jlturriff
On 2017-09-11 23:51:17 Fernando Cassia wrote:

> On 9/11/17, Leslie Turriff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >       I'm toying with writing a text editor in Java, and I'm wondering if
> > I can interface it with NetRexx to provide macro capability the way Xedit
> > does with
> > Rexx.
> >       I've read through the Programmer Guide and Language Reference, but
> > it's not
> >
> > clear to me if NetRexx has that capability.
> >
> > Leslie\
>
> I would start the other way around: find an editor which is
> scriptable, like jEdit. Then ask them how difficult it'd be to have
> scripts written in NetRexx.
>
> Or look at how jEdit source on how it does things and take that as an
> example.
>
> FC
> PS: Jedit has a long tradition... you're free to do as you please but
> I wonder if there's room for yet another text editor ;)

:-) The whole point of the exercise is that the only PC-based editor that I
really like is X2 - The Programmer's Editor (originally the OS/2 text
editor), which is not being maintained on Linux any more.

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can NetRexx interface with an editor the way Rexx does with Xedit?

bob.martin
In reply to this post by jlturriff
Leslie Turriff <[hidden email]> wrote the following on 12/09/17 07:29:37:

> On 2017-09-11 23:51:17 Fernando Cassia wrote:
> > On 9/11/17, Leslie Turriff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > ������I'm toying with writing a text editor in Java, and I'm wondering if
> > > I can interface it with NetRexx to provide macro capability the way Xedit
> > > does with
> > > Rexx.
> > > ������I've read through the Programmer Guide and Language Reference, but
> > > it's not
> > >
> > > clear to me if NetRexx has that capability.
> > >
> > > Leslie\
> >
> > I would start the other way around: find an editor which is
> > scriptable, like jEdit. Then ask them how difficult it'd be to have
> > scripts written in NetRexx.
> >
> > Or look at how jEdit source on how it does things and take that as an
> > example.
> >
> > FC
> > PS: Jedit has a long tradition... you're free to do as you please but
> > I wonder if there's room for yet another text editor ;)
>
> :-) The whole point of the exercise is that the only PC-based editor that I
> really like is X2 - The Programmer's Editor (originally the OS/2 text
> editor), which is not being maintained on Linux any more.

I second that, never found anything half as good.
I asked Blair for the source so I could maintain the Linux version, but he refused
(which is a bit rich considering X2 is based on the Tiny editor by Tim Baldwin of Hursley)

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can NetRexx interface with an editor the way Rexx does with Xedit?

rvjansen
In reply to this post by jlturriff
Hi Leslie,

sure it can. You can call both ways without any problems. Calling methods written in Java is what we do all the time, but calling the NetRexx runtime is also possible by including the NetRexxR.jar in the CLASSPATH.

I would certainly be interested in a T, T2, E, E3 or X2 familiy editor written in Java. There must be an LPEX jar somewhere from the early days of Eclipse (or the later days of Rational MF eclipse plugins).

best regards,

René.

> On 12 Sep 2017, at 05:33, Leslie Turriff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm toying with writing a text editor in Java, and I'm wondering if I can
> interface it with NetRexx to provide macro capability the way Xedit does with
> Rexx.
> I've read through the Programmer Guide and Language Reference, but it's not
> clear to me if NetRexx has that capability.
>
> Leslie
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ibm-netrexx mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=2hZzHj7tU4s29t1reRr9KJh8lX_fTomamqDrmIhrQL4&s=W77CumDJ7m7o6pH16iI2kOkv9THnXpsZIzfqajOWfUk&e= 
>

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can NetRexx interface with an editor the way Rexx does with Xedit?

jlturriff
In reply to this post by bob.martin
On 2017-09-12 05:58:30 [hidden email] wrote:

> > :-)   The whole point of the exercise is that the only PC-based editor
> > : that I
> >
> > really like is X2 - The Programmer's Editor (originally the OS/2 text
> > editor), which is not being maintained on Linux any more.
>
> I second that, never found anything half as good.
> I asked Blair for the source so I could maintain the Linux version, but he
> refused (which is a bit rich considering X2 is based on the Tiny editor by
> Tim Baldwin of Hursley)

        I asked about that as well, several years ago, but since I don't know enough
about programming in the C environment, it was sort of moot.  Therre are a
number of features that just don't work right any more in the *nix version,
and the only updates I've seen since then have been for Windoze only.
        One of the reasons I'm interested in writing one in Java is its native
Unicode support, which (supposedly) just works. :-)

Leslie

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can NetRexx interface with an editor the way Rexx does with Xedit?

ThSITC
In reply to this post by jlturriff
I am suggesting that You do have a look at JEDIT (www.Jedit.org).

Kermit Kiser, who unfortunately did die too early, wrote a plugin to
JEDIT to maintain

and compile NetRexx Code quite well.

Thanks to President Rene Vincent Jansen, Kermit Kiser's plugin is
already available from

the official NetRexx side www.netrexx.org.

With kind greetings from Vienna, Austria,

Thomas Schneider.

=============================================================================


Am 12.09.2017 um 05:33 schrieb Leslie Turriff:

> I'm toying with writing a text editor in Java, and I'm wondering if I can
> interface it with NetRexx to provide macro capability the way Xedit does with
> Rexx.
> I've read through the Programmer Guide and Language Reference, but it's not
> clear to me if NetRexx has that capability.
>
> Leslie
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ibm-netrexx mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=Jr1vz8hCVUKPQoGJGUswroUlAH90VtVO6xK3ojxICVI&s=11rQuzG4YYpJzJTyOw5lw5nViu9z0ljm8yNNGCKw9xo&e= 
>

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can NetRexx interface with an editor the way Rexx does with Xedit?

jlturriff
On 2017-09-19 17:48:15 Thomas Schneider wrote:

> I am suggesting that You do have a look at JEDIT (www.Jedit.org).
>
> Kermit Kiser, who unfortunately did die too early, wrote a plugin to
> JEDIT to maintain
>
> and compile NetRexx Code quite well.
>
> Thanks to President Rene Vincent Jansen, Kermit Kiser's plugin is
> already available from
>
> the official NetRexx side www.netrexx.org.
>
> With kind greetings from Vienna, Austria,
>
> Thomas Schneider.

        Okay, thanks, Thomas.

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can NetRexx interface with an editor the way Rexx does with Xedit?

Fernando Cassia-2
In reply to this post by rvjansen
On 9/12/17, René Jansen <[hidden email]> wrote:


> I would certainly be interested in a T, T2, E, E3 or X2 familiy editor
> written in Java.

Yes, that changes things. I initially mentioned JEdit because I
thought the OP was interested in doing his own GUI Editor and I
thought "yet another GUI text editor?"

But it'd be nice, IMHO to have something like TEdit... or QEdit / TSE
(CUA-like text mode menus)? written in Java and delivered as a single
JAR. :D

Now who's gonna write it?. That's where all great ideas end. ;)
because it's a lot of man-hours. :)

FC

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can NetRexx interface with an editor the way Rexx does with Xedit?

jlturriff
On 2017-09-19 22:36:02 Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On 9/12/17, René Jansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I would certainly be interested in a T, T2, E, E3 or X2 familiy editor
> > written in Java.
>
> Yes, that changes things. I initially mentioned JEdit because I
> thought the OP was interested in doing his own GUI Editor and I
> thought "yet another GUI text editor?"
        I never used the term 'GUI'. :-)  My very favourite text editor is Xedit,
which unfortunately is closely held by IBM in z/VM CMS. IMO it's the best,
most flexible and productive text editor there is.  After spending many years
with the CMS environment, I find that most other editors continually force me
to remove my hand from the keyboard to manipulate widgets with a mouse,
disrupting my workflow.
        And, don't try to tell me that Kedit, THE, or Uni-Xedit are functional
equivalents to Xedit, :-)
>
> But it'd be nice, IMHO to have something like TEdit... or QEdit / TSE
> (CUA-like text mode menus)? written in Java and delivered as a single
> JAR. :D
>
> Now who's gonna write it?. That's where all great ideas end. ;)
> because it's a lot of man-hours. :)
        If I can find a suitable example of a simple Java-based editor I'll give it a
try. That said, I don't know a whole lot about Java.

Leslie



_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can NetRexx interface with an editor the way Rexx does with Xedit?

ThSITC
In reply to this post by Fernando Cassia-2
Fernando,

I think *writing  a NEW EDITOR* might be *lost time* ...

After Kermit Kiser's death, who did so many goodies in his time of living,

it might be more *advantageous* to help Rene's efforts to support
NetRexx as a language ....

Maybe WeAll can find a proper way to support NetRexx 3.06 GA release ?

Any replies shall be welcome!

Thomas Schneider, Vienna, Austria.

PS: As already said, I'm currently working only on a JAVAC vs. ECJ
benchmark test.

       But I'm not yet familiar to the impact of modules vs. packages,
and have not yet

       Java 9 installed ....

PPS: I did try, in the past, to implement my *own NetRexx Translator*,
but did stop this

as Mike F. Cowlishaw and all the others here do have more knowledge of
Java than me.

PPPS: I am about of closing my home-pages www.thsitc.com and
www.db-123.com by the end

of this year 2017. Whom shall I send the recent source version of my
ancient Rexx2Nrx,

written in 3 man month back in 2002, when my memory does serve me right, in

IBM Classic Compiled Rexx, for the records ?

========================================================================

===========================================================================


Am 20.09.2017 um 05:36 schrieb Fernando Cassia:

> On 9/12/17, René Jansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>> I would certainly be interested in a T, T2, E, E3 or X2 familiy editor
>> written in Java.
> Yes, that changes things. I initially mentioned JEdit because I
> thought the OP was interested in doing his own GUI Editor and I
> thought "yet another GUI text editor?"
>
> But it'd be nice, IMHO to have something like TEdit... or QEdit / TSE
> (CUA-like text mode menus)? written in Java and delivered as a single
> JAR. :D
>
> Now who's gonna write it?. That's where all great ideas end. ;)
> because it's a lot of man-hours. :)
>
> FC
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ibm-netrexx mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=kSQzMQJ6JDeuj8P03FQD5nc9l51W3xosCyU-1piIz5Q&s=qFQwfXNr4Y431IayfMsFk9LncsbrtaZGgdAdiiUbDXE&e= 
>

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can NetRexx interface with an editor the way Rexx does with Xedit?

ThSITC
In reply to this post by jlturriff
Leslie,

1.) Have a look at Jedit, which does allow so-called PLUGINS :-)

2.) Have a look at Kermit Kiser's NetRexx PLUGIN for Jedit ....

Great work, both!

Thomas.

=======================================================================


Am 20.09.2017 um 08:58 schrieb Leslie Turriff:

> On 2017-09-19 22:36:02 Fernando Cassia wrote:
>> On 9/12/17, René Jansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I would certainly be interested in a T, T2, E, E3 or X2 familiy editor
>>> written in Java.
>> Yes, that changes things. I initially mentioned JEdit because I
>> thought the OP was interested in doing his own GUI Editor and I
>> thought "yet another GUI text editor?"
> I never used the term 'GUI'. :-)  My very favourite text editor is Xedit,
> which unfortunately is closely held by IBM in z/VM CMS. IMO it's the best,
> most flexible and productive text editor there is.  After spending many years
> with the CMS environment, I find that most other editors continually force me
> to remove my hand from the keyboard to manipulate widgets with a mouse,
> disrupting my workflow.
> And, don't try to tell me that Kedit, THE, or Uni-Xedit are functional
> equivalents to Xedit, :-)
>> But it'd be nice, IMHO to have something like TEdit... or QEdit / TSE
>> (CUA-like text mode menus)? written in Java and delivered as a single
>> JAR. :D
>>
>> Now who's gonna write it?. That's where all great ideas end. ;)
>> because it's a lot of man-hours. :)
> If I can find a suitable example of a simple Java-based editor I'll give it a
> try. That said, I don't know a whole lot about Java.
>
> Leslie
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ibm-netrexx mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Online Archive : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ibm-2Dnetrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com_&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_6rXNpPJ1fYV-3bV1za02NiR4PUelvicfHXwtnTXpXE&m=u-So-lFCUqmY3A0AUd5oWtg6mHsFLGrH-ADY-YIvGQY&s=oNMeagztibGPuEJETN15UM9ekgVB6-9kREYkOgV0_1k&e= 
>

_______________________________________________
Ibm-netrexx mailing list
[hidden email]
Online Archive : http://ibm-netrexx.215625.n3.nabble.com/